Thursday, June 09, 2005

Trendy Coffee

Yesterday was coffee morning at Bethel Christian Centre. We ran out of coffee, so I was sent to the store to get more. There, I succumbed to the latest trend in global mass-marketing. No, they didn't have any Starbucks coffee. I bought Fair Trade coffee. Then I went one step further, and bought a second bag of Organic Fair Trade coffee. Then I bought organic milk to use in the coffee.
So why do I say I succumbed to the latest trend in global mass-marketing? Because in all honesty, I don't have any idea what "Fair Trade" or "Organic" really means.
I mean, I know Organic usually means that something is grown without using harsh chemical fertilizers or pesticides - but what does it mean that the milk is Organic? Probably the cows weren't given rBGH or antibiotics, but I don't really know why these things are bad, or what other measures are taken (or not taken) to make the milk organic. And what about the organic coffee - what makes it "organic?"
I have similar problems with the "Fair Trade" label. I know it's supposed to mean that producers in poor areas of the world were treated fairly and paid a decent price (usually above prevailing market value) for their products. But who's to say how much is a "decent" price? And anyway, I bought the coffee having no idea how much the growers were actually paid.
The reality is, I bought those products not because I actually know that they are better products, but because a global marketing campaign has taught me to think that Organic and Fair Trade lables mean the product is healthier, environmentally friendlier, and conducive to the promotion of justice. Score one for the new (somewhat subversive) face of global capitalism.

A few notes: I actually like the idea of organic growing. I'm hoping to pick up a book on organic gardening soon. Also, just because I didn't know the specifics behind the organic and fair trade labels when I bought the products doesn't mean you can't find them out. In addition to the above link about Fair Trade, see this link to Wikipedia's extensive explanation of organic farming codes. My issue isn't with either practice, it's with my lack of understanding of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan,
I never even heard of organic or fair trade coffee until WTS bookstore started selling Pura Vida coffee. They have a terrific website and their home office is next door to Starbucks headquarters. All the profits go to a non-profit missions agency in Costa Rica. They were profiled in Great Commission Companies. But now, I feel like the Fair Trade thing is everywhere.

Dan Passerelli said...

Thanks Jerry. For those who are intersted, Pura Vida's website is here.

michelle said...

just an obscure connection that i wanted to make: the anglican priest who was working with the emergent church that i connected with in pittsburgh, three nails, has started a coffee roasting business. the idea is that a lot of countries where coffee is grown are closed countries, so the business is a platform to start building relationships. kind of cool. check him out at bald guy brew.

but i agree with you in not liking to just jump on bandwagons. it's the same idea as writing off icons because they're outside our experience. i don't like doing things in ignorance.

and yet... do i have time to research everything? i've gotta live life and just buy coffee at some point.