Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Smashing Cultural Stereotypes

The English are supposed to be reserved. They like their privacy and don't particularly appreciate Americans who come and vomit their souls all over the place the first time they meet you. Case in point: It took us weeks to find out the names of some of the moms at moms & tots because when they introduce themselves, they don't give you their name. Even if you say "Hi, I'm Dan" they'll respond with "Oh, o.k. Hi."

Or so I thought.

Among the young people on the Becontree housing estate there seems to be no concept of personal privacy. Yesterday the younger Hub was cancelled. As usual, most of the kids turned up anyway. When I went outside the center to tell them it was cancelled, I found about ten teenage boys and girls sitting on the wall smoking. I knew most of the guys and a few of the girls, so we started talking. Three of the girls I didn't know. Here's a bit the conversation:
Are you Australian? No
American? Yeah
Where do you come from in America? Philadelphia
Do you like it there?
Do you like it here? (At this point Luke interjects - "This place is a hell-hole")
What are you? Are you a priest? No, I did training to be a priest.
Are you not a priest because you're married? No, I'm allowed to be married even if I get ordained.
What's your name? Dan, what's your name? (I figured if they were going to be blunt, I might as well get a few names out of it).
What are your kids names?
Do you love your wife?Yes (One of the other girls smacks the one who asked the question). The first girl continues:
What? Maybe they're having a bad patch or something.

So there you have it. Nationality, name, job, family, and analysis of the condition of my marriage, all in the span of two minutes.

2 comments:

michelle said...

have you gotten the association with philadelphia cream cheese and will smith yet? i got that all the time--it was the only thing anyone knew about philly.

interesting convo, though. i remember being a little shocked by the questions of some kids up in york. says something about enculturation, i guess.

Anonymous said...

I'm smiling.
Sounds like typical teens. I love the honesty and straight-forward realness of young people.