Thursday, June 16, 2005

Live 8 sadness

Yeah, so I didn't win tickets to Live8. Not surprising, really, since they had 1.5 million entries the first day alone, for a mere 70,000 pairs of tickets.

Oh well, guess I can always bid on them on e-Bay.

Never mind...Sir Bob hath spoken, and e-Bay is apparently the seven-headed ten-horned beast from the abyss for allowing someone to sell their tickets. Not wanting to be singled out for a special anti-capitalist flogging, e-Bay has dutifully removed the listing of the tickets and has rejoined all other globalized corporations as a rank-and-file demon.

Can you tell I'm a little bitter about this one? Guess I'm showing my true American Capitalist colors. I mean, what's the big deal if somebody won a pair of tickets and they want to sell them to make money? It's not like they're taking money away from the charities. They already gave their compulsory £1.50 to enter the "contest". With millions of pounds flying around for the charities, I have little sympathy for those who want to castigate someone for wanting to sell their ticket. I mean, I know it's supposed to be about the poor in Africa and not about the bands, but c'mon if it wasn't about the bands, then why get U2, Elton John, and all the other massive names to play? Why not say "Come to Hyde Park and listen to some poor people play music." Or else have all those big bands, but don't let them play, make people just come and sit with them in the park and quietly pray for Africa.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah well, in Philly we are free to go cram on to the Blvd., but I don't know anyone who is really wanting to do that, and the acts here are good too. Will they show it on the tele?

First e-bay bans you from selling your kidney, now Live 8 tickets - what's next? ;-)