Monday, June 27, 2005

Nana

My grandmother passed away this past week. It wasn't totally unexpected, but still a major time of grieving and loss for my family. I couldn't make it home for the funeral, so I had to participate from London. I sent a letter that my brother Mark read at the funeral. Then my other brother Andrew set up a video chat back at my Aunt's house, where the family gathered after the funeral. I got to see my immediate family, plus relatives from New York and North Carolina. It was a good time, but also a sharp reminder that we are living far from home.
Explaining the death of Nana to my children was a wonderful experience. The questions you get from a 2- and 4-year-old are amazing. Andi asked what happens when you die. Honestly, I had to say that I wasn't sure. As far as I can tell, our understanding of what happens immediately after death is speculation. The Bible is very clear that death is not the final answer, that Jesus frees us from fear of death, and that he will make all things new and his people will live forever in this new creation. But what happens between now and then is a mystery to me. The clearest thing I can see is that Jesus says to the thief on the cross "Today you will be with me in paradise" but I'm not sure how much we can build on that.
Anyway, I tell you all this because these are two glimpses into my paradoxical life as a cross-cultural Jesus follower (read "missionary" if you're comfortable with that term). My life is very different from what it would be if I was back in the States, but at the same time very much the same.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My prayers and sympathies to your family at this time. About death, all I know and cling to is resurrection.
God bless,
Jerry

Dan Passerelli said...

Amen to that. Thanks for your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Dan,

I am sorry to hear about your Nana. I have a great-grandmother who is about to go home too, and it is an odd mix of sadness and hope. I hope you all are able to break and rest where you are.

Matthew (and Amy)