Sunday, January 02, 2005

Update on "Language" and "Targeting"

my friend jeremy in india added a few insights/cautions by e-mail, and I think they warrant an updated post.
on targeting, he writes: "I think there can be a difference between 'targeting' (another missy war metaphor that can surely be done away with) and focused ministry. After all the gospel is contextual and what is the problem with saying...that you are there to (re)approach Jesus centered community for those who have lost touch with traditional religion". I like it. Among other things, it makes Jesus the center of why I'm there.
on the language metaphor for christianity, he cautions that we don't want to push the metaphor too far. people can become fluent in languages - they master them. walking with Jesus in the way of wisdom we never master.

No comments: