Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The Question

Of late, the question I've been getting most is "So how are you finding your time so far?" I was asked it several times tonight at the Hub. I suppose it's the right question, if there is such a thing. What else would people who don't know me that well ask? It's probably what I'd ask someone who's only been in my country for a week and a half.
Half way through the night, I realized I don't really know how to answer the question. I'm in a new country, new culture, urban setting (more so than I'm accustomed to). Doing ministry with people who approach God, faith, evangelism, and the church in a very different way from me.
I'm struggling to keep my American-ness to a minimum, and knowing full well that I'll want to take things over and do them my way; so I try to avoid it and still take over anyway.
I've got to repent to Julian tomorrow - I kind of shot down one of his ideas for a talk he wanted to do at the hub. It wasn't a bad idea, just not the way I'd approach it. He wanted to go through proofs for the validity of the Bible. Not the way I'd approach it, but I don't know the kids there very well. My self-focus didn't allow me to see beyond the single issue of how we'd approach the talk to the larger issue of how to be a blessing and encouragement to my brother Julian.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dan, that's The Stuff. whether you do or learn anything more whilst you're over there, i know that my support has been well-spent.

-mm

Dan Passerelli said...

mm - glad you're so easily pleased; though i'm guessing God's not done with us yet. had a woman from the wednesday fellowship bring a word from the Lord to me. she said God has much yet for me to do, and some hard things for us to walk in; but he will also walk with us in them.