Friday, February 09, 2007

England 1-0 Australia

Just finished watching the first of the three match CB One Day International series final between England and Australia. It was incredibly close...England won in the final over with three balls to spare. Very exciting play. Paul Collingwood was clearly the man of the match, scoring 120 not out, and hitting the winning run. Final tally was England 253-6 to Australia 252.

For those of you who wonder how in the world you can have a close game when teams score upwards of 250 runs, well, you'll just have to watch. But I will say this: Cricket is much more exciting than Baseball. Though the games take longer to play, there's no standing around, waiting for the guy to hit the ball, waiting for a team to score runs. Very rarely do you get an over without any runs scored (an over consists of six balls - how many times in baseball do you get a run scored every couple of pitches?).

And yes, I know my Aussie friend Doug will say that he's not very interested in ODI matches...it's Test Matches that really matter. Fair enough. His boys did destroy England in the Ashes test series. But still, it's nice to see England on top for a change.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

heh, i'm glad you mentioned eventually that you were talking about cricket! i was like duhhh, uhh, huh? what game possibly scores that high? yep, must be a sport i know absolutely nothing about. looking forward to learning more through your blog. :p :)

Anonymous said...

You've lost your love for baseball? I hope not! Go O's!!
U.M.

Dan Passerelli said...

No, I haven't lost my love for baseball. But I do think I'd prefer to go to a baseball game than watch one on TV. The experience is much better. And to be fair, I didn't watch the entire cricket match on TV, just the last 30 mins. Many of my English friends say they think cricket is really boring.

Tim said...

I wanna play

Dan Passerelli said...

A couple of the 55 bartenders used to play County Cricket (as far as I can tell, it's the top pro level). So we're going to go play at the park when it warms up. Get yourself over here, Tim, and you can join us. And I'll throw in a pair of Arsenal tickets if I can.