Thursday, January 18, 2007

London Wind

Wind gusts of 77 mph have been reported this afternoon at Heathrow airport in London. The BBC reports that Lords Cricket Ground, which is not too far from us, has lost its roof.
I had lunch this afternoon with my friend David from the market. On the way back I was planning to walk through the market and visit a few friends. However, due to the wind, most of the market was closed off to prevent people being injured by falling debris. Most of the market is a make-shift structure, with corrugated plastic roofing and recycled timbers.
On my way home, I saw the roof of another building being blown off, and realized that I stood in the path of the debris if I didn't move. So I moved to the top of the bridge over the canal and felt the wind as it wipped up spray from the canal 15 feet below.

Sad Update: A toddler was killed during the storm when the wind blew a brick wall over. I rode past the spot this morning on the bus on my way to a prayer meeting - a large section of wall had fallen, and police had roped off the area. It happened just a mile or two from our house...very sad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's so sad about the infant. :( i'm glad you guys have been able to stay safe. i heard in the czech republic there are 1/2 a million people without power because of this wind!! _-_ 8-o whoaaaaa

Anonymous said...

Has the wind finally died down? We saw it on the news. So very sad about that child. Be careful.

Aunt Jeanie