Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Finder of Cool

How'd you like that for a job title? I'm a "Cool Finder", thank you very much. "Stand back everyone, I've found some cool." "No officer, I do not know how fast I was going, I was too busy finding the cool in this Porche." Sounds like the best job ever.
Well, I met a real live cool finder yesterday. At least, that's what he said he was. Then he explained that he works in fashion. He finds the latest "cool" here in London, and takes it to Spain, where he's from. So not quite as 'cool' as it sounded at first...but maybe.
Anyway, I met the cool finder at the climbing wall at my gym. It's been a great place to meet new people in Camden. It's very interesting how in certain circumstances I'm willing to put my life in the hands of a complete stranger. I climbed to the top of the wall on my first go yesterday, and all I knew was the cool finder's name. That's it. Didn't even know he mined London for the latest and greatest fashions until after he lowered me down. I'm sure there's some profound truth to be gleaned from that...
And on the flip-side, today I took the person I trust most in life for a taster session at the wall while the girls were in school. Somer did really well...she climbed to the top on her first two attempts, and didn't fall at all. She also did a great job belaying me, though I think that wore her arms out more than the climbing did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Somer!! Sounds like a great afternoon for you both. Glad you could share the experience together.

Rebecca said...

Ooo, I want to have a job to find the "cool" in London!! :)

My brother is a huge climber - quite good at it too. I, however, am not...into it or good at it :) But I think I'd like to give indoor a try sometime...