Thursday, September 21, 2006

Door

Met a guy in the Camden Market who sells old doors from Mumbai, India. He said they're about 200 years old, and they literally yank them out of the plaster walls that surround them. Then they age them in the desert before selling them off. The doors are beautiful, but they were selling for something like £1,000. Then I saw that he had some pieces of the doors just kind of lying around. One of the doors had broken during shipment, and he wanted to get rid of the remaining pieces cheap. We agreed to a price, and a few days later he brought the door pieces to our apartment. Now, you might be thinking, "What does Dan need with a door?"
Well, after several hours and a good bit of aggrevation, we now have a dining table. I still need to get a sheet of glass to cover the top, but my friend in the market has someone that can get me one.


5 comments:

Kristine said...

That is SOoooo cool! Great idea! I love it!

Anonymous said...

I kind of liked the old table. :-) I hope you guys are doing well. It is weird but I miss you guys. I had fun hanging out with you and your family.

e

Anonymous said...

i agree with kristine. it's perfect!! once you get the glass top though, i guess. :)

Anonymous said...

dan, i want one for christmas!

Nate said...

Dude -- I like the table. :) Not many people can say that have a dinning room table that has been ripped out of an Indian wall!!