Saturday, September 30, 2006

Bring Back the Bomb

Went to see a new friend of mine play at a pub last night. The show was called Bring Back the Bomb, and you can read more about it here. It was basically a memorial concert in honor of several members of a band who were killed in a car crash a few years ago. The bands that played were all somehow connected to the band that died. My friend Jon plays bass in two of the bands that played last night. They were both really good - a little heavier and more frantic than I normally like - but quality stuff. I don't know the right musical terms (help me out here, Tim) but I liked the way the bass drove the rythm of their songs, and was at times a stronger element than the lead guitar.
And I'm not just saying that so Jon won't be mad at me for this next statement: My favorite band of the evening (Jon, if you read this: sorry mate) was The Bicycle Thieves. I met them before they played and discovered two members of the band are Americans (or at least decended from Americans) and we chatted for a while about life in London. Their style was a little more chilled out than the other bands, which is why I liked it so much. Had a hint of Arcade Fire, if you know those guys. Their myspace is here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bass driving the music is what's known as "freakin' sweet" & "the greatest form of music". Those are very technical terms, I don't quite know how to put it into layman's terms. :D

Anonymous said...

wow man, forget the bass solo tim - we should find a way to adapt our entire songlist on sunday mornings. i like the way this sounds! :) :p

Anonymous said...

it'll be the greatest sunday morning service in the history of mankind.

Anonymous said...

See what you've started, Dan. You're putting way too cool ideas into Tim's head!