Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Dan's Offerings

Since Somer's in Ireland until tomorrow, I thought I'd try my hand at a few food-related thoughts, just in case any of you are missing her on her blog.
Monday night we had grilled lamb steaks with rosemary from the garden, Somer's garlic mashed potatoes a'la Dan (i.e. throw some garlic salt in with cooked potatoes and smash them with a wire wisk - clearly the wrong tool for the job, as I discovered after bending the handle), and carrot sticks straight from the bag. Andi and I also shared our first large tomato from the garden - we've been getting cherry tomatoes for a while, but this is the first from the larger variety. It was tasty.
Tuesday was leftovers, but I did make some new peas. The recipe? Buy frozen peas, open the bag and chow down. If you must heat them, throw them in a pot and let them steam as the frost melts and then evaporates.
Tuesday evening before dinner the girls came with me to the younger Hub. The talk was on Jacob and Esau, so we had Pot o' Noodles while I talked about how Esau despised God's promises and sold his birthright for a bowl of soup. They thought it was hysterical that I used the word "soup" - or else they thought I said "soup" in a funny way. I couldn't really tell. Whenever I said "soup" there would be a few seconds of laughter and several other people would say "soup".
The recipe for Pot o' Noodles? If you're that desperate I can't help you.
Somer will be back tomorrow evening, so look for her again on Thursday. Tomorrow is coffee morning/lunch hour at the centre, so the girls will be with me for that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan,
So good to chat with you and the girls today. I love your blog. So much of your personality comes through.
Love you,
Mom

chaps said...

Dan- hysterical! :)