Saturday, July 16, 2005

A proverb and a picture

Any fool can ask for advice,
but a wise person listens to friends.
A fool asks until the desired answer is given,
but a wise person is satisfied with good counsel.

So who do you think I am?

My boss Julian finally gave me the advice I wanted to hear: "Get the vinyl flooring and just put some foam sub-flooring underneath. Caulk the whole thing around the edges, and you're done." I got a remnant of vinyl for £7 (the guy wanted 15, then when I baulked at the price he came down to 10. I asked if he took credit - he didn't - and I said I'd give him the £7 in my wallet. I love bargaining). The foam was £15 per roll, and Somer suggested that we just forget the foam and lay the vinyl straight on the wood. Thinking her advice the best, I bought a tube of silicon and came home. Finished product is above. A few notes for the guys who did give good (though unheaded) advice: This vinyl stuff is not linoleum as I know it - it's actually soft on the bottom and very flexible...feels a lot like carpet with a soft, thin, plastic veneer on top. The moisture basically comes from the tub - splashing kids and a wonky shower head. I liked Jim's idea of painting the floor boards, but they were in such bad shape it wasn't an option. There is some old termite damage - a couple boards had been replaced, and the ones next to them had been generously eaten through, though not badly enough to warrant replacement. Pat's advice was good - but I don't know who to talk to at LCM right now - Andrew is no longer one of the ministry directors, and the three new directors haven't sorted out who is supervising whom. In any case, it would take longer than the day I had left in which to replace the floor - I neglected to mention that I had already ripped up the moldy carpet when I wrote the post. So, the floor is down, the bathroom smells nice (albeit a bit chemically right now) and I spent a day cutting and caulking. Surprisingly, the stuff stays put and lays quite flat. In the end, if the landlord doesn't like it, I'll just take it up before I leave and put the new piece of carpet down, and no harm done.
Thanks for your thoughts guys. And Pat...sorry to have not listed you specifically in my appeal for help. I did know you laid floors, but forgot it at the time I was writing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan - I'm impressed at what you have done. Congrats!
Carol

Anonymous said...

Well done, Dan. I just finished reading this to Dad and Andrew. Dad said you ought to consider appearing on "This Old House".

I love the proverb - also the reference to pharisees in your original post about the floor.

Mom