Sunday, July 24, 2005

And Even Three

I realized those last two stories give an unrealistically rosey picture of life/ministry here. So let me give you a third to temper the other two.

Also on Tuesday, I was out with Emma doing doors. I met the first "cultural creative" person I've talked to here in Dagenham. He answered the door, tattooed on both arms, lip and eyebrow pierced, blue hair. He agreed to do the survey. Basically, he's not religious at all. The only thing he believes in is himself. Has no desire to go to church, and there's nothing that really would make him want to go. He was a really nice guy - told us he's a musician, writes songs for bands. "And yet I'm still here in Dagenham," he remarked. Near the end of the conversation, he said something like "Well, I don't exactly look like someone who would believe [in Jesus], do I?" Emma said something about "you should see some of my friends." And I remained silent. It was a perfect invitation into his life and the nature of faith and walking in the way of Jesus as a counter-cultural lifestyle, and I said nothing. Couldn't think of what to say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps God kept you silent for a reason only He knows at the moment.
Mom