Thursday, July 07, 2005

London Bombings

There have been a number of explosions this morning in London. BBC quoted the Metropolitan Police Commissioner as saying there were six explosions on busses and London Underground trains. The Underground is completely shut down. I was supposed to be doing door-to-door today, but my co-worker is stuck in central London without a way out to Ilford. Somer is working at Café Forever this morning - closer to the center of London, but not in close proximity to the bombings. I'm looking forward to having her back home this afternoon. Not that you need me to keep you posted, given the flood of news coverage, but I will post an update once it becomes clearer what has happened. We are o.k. and praying for our city.

[Update] - Somer picked up the girls from school around 12:30 and they are all home safely. We just saw a news conference where the police and others clarified some details. It looks like there were a total of four bombs - three on Underground trains and one on a bus. They are saying at least 33 people were killed and a few hundred injured. Some train services outside the very center of the city are resuming, and it sounds like they are hoping to have restored more services tomorrow so that life can go on in the city. We are still having our kids clubs tonight at Ley Street, so I'm off to work in about an hour or so. I'll try to give one more update tonight on how the kids in our clubs are reacting.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan, glad you all safe. We are praying for the city and the work of the kingdom there. This makes us even more anxious to get there and be a part of people's lives through thick (olympic glory) and thin (terrorist bombings). There is another movement going on that has more power than bombs and terror. You and Somer are part of it. And He who leads this movement does not destroy, ravage, and kill, but brings life as He renews all things.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting info on the bombings immediately. The first thing I did when I heard it on the news, was to bring up your blog. As you know, I am praying for you and Somer and the girls.
Love,
Carol

Anonymous said...

Dan,

Thanks for letting us know you guys are ok. We have been praying for you, and will continue to do so. Thankfully you guys have a car....
By the way if you haven't heard, Maria is ok as well.

Give me a call anytime on my mobile, or email me to set up a time to talk by a land line.

Anonymous said...

Dan,

We're praying for you all, and the city of London. We'll pray that the Lord will give you opportunities to show His grace to many during this difficult time. Give our love to Somer and the girls!

Anonymous said...

Dan,

Thank God you are all safe. I could hardly wait to get check your website to make sure. I'll be praying for all of you.

Love,
Aunt Jean & Uncle Mike
xoxo for the girls!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the note Dan, for keeping us updated.

-Laurel

Anonymous said...

New Life FW is praying for you, and so am I. May the shalom of Jesus be on you.

Anonymous said...

Got a reply from Shanti that she and her family are also safe. One of the bombs was quite close to her university, and one friend is still unaccounted for. Praying for her.

What doors of opportunity the Lord may open now, as many around you are faced with the reality of death. Praying for you as you hold kids club tonight

All hail the power of Jesus name,
Mom

Jeff and Jodie said...

Dan and Somer,

The McMullen family is praying for you guys. I am praying God will bring redemption and healing in the midst of darkness and despair. Godspeed to you.

Kristine said...

My husband and I are praying for you and your family. My heart sank when I heard the news. I am glad to hear that you guys are ok.
kristine and derek