Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Mind Body Spirit Festival

The Mind Body Spirit Festival opened today in Victoria. Some friends had a booth, so I went to see what they were up to, and to check out the rest of the festival.
They were giving "Life Readings" - small quotes from the Bible in a big bowl. People would come and pick out one of the cards, and then they'd have someone read the quote to them and talk about what it might mean for their life.
There was another group of Jesus followers there, called Dekhomai. They had lots of interesting things, including giving free foot massages (yeck...and yet also pretty cool). There was a stack of cards called The Jesus Deck, from which visitors could pick a card. Each card displays a picture of an event in the life/ministry of Jesus, and visitors were encouraged to think about how that particular story might impact their life.
When I told the rest of my team about it, they suggested that we think about using the Jesus Deck. It's surprisingly well-done: think artist on an acid trip reading the gospels and you'd be pretty close to the artwork for each card (Satan tempting Jesus is bright pink and has well-cut pecs, for example) Seems like a really cool way to get people thinking about Jesus in the context of their own life life.
I also wandered around to other stalls - picked up some info on Reiki healing, as I have a friend who does it - and watched as someone sat two inches from a massive gong while having it struck repeatedly (gong therapy, apparently).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these ideas. . . . perhaps at the Catonsville Arts & Crafts Festival???? Thanks for sharing.

Jo

Jeff and Jodie said...

yeah, I'd say this sounds a little different from the festivals I've been to in recent years, especially ones in south central PA... And I appreciated your imagery about the "artist on acid trip drawings" - I actually think I know what you're talking about even though I'm not an artist or ever done acid...

Jodie