Thursday, March 01, 2007

Waterloo

Yesterday I dropped into the Waterloo homeless center, run by one of my friends with London City Mission. I gave the morning talk and then had breakfast with the men. The talk was based on a conversation I had with one of the guys at 55. We had talked about civil war, and how people are so quick to find reasons to fight with each other. Even when we're really young, we try to pull other people down so that we can look better or feal better about ourselves. But Jesus introduces a different way of living, a way that isn't based on how good we are, how strong we are, who we can beat up, or even how bad we are. It's based on how much we're loved. This frees us from the daily burden of climbing the human ladder, dragging other people down so we can get closer to the top. That's why he could say "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yolk upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in spirit, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yolk is easy and my burden is light."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great talk. Must have been nice seeing some of the LCM people again.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your talk and for helping out at Webber St, Dan - I had postive feedback!

Duncan, LCM