Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Goths

Under the previous post, Amy asks "I'm curious to know your views on the goth scene".
To be honest, I don't know as much about it as I'd like. Camden has a very visible goth presence, so I'm hoping to get to know and better understand goth culture once we're living there.
I do know this: I doubt goths feel welcome in many western evangelical churches. Goth culture seems to be about creative self-expression and a commitment to not allowing mass media/pop culture to determine 'me'. Most churches I've been in allow creativity only within a narrowly defined (though unspoken) framework. Churches that are on the more creative side tend to be massively influenced by pop culture - and that's not necessarily a bad thing, though it does tend to exclude goths and others who are living in cultures that are decidedly anti-pop culture.
There's a church in Camden Town called Glorious Undead that's committed to living for Jesus while remaining within the Goth scene. They have a great article about Just Being Goth, which attacks many of the steriotypes surrounding the subculture.
Do I have any Goth readers who'd like to weigh in?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've heard of that church, I think. If you wanna know more about goths (from Christian ones), two good websites are
www.gothicshadowsandlight.com (the lady needs some serious web design help though) and www.gothsforjesus.com. I think the gothicthus cartoons are particularly enlightening about the sarcastic gothic sense of humor :)