Thursday, June 05, 2008

Primate Planting

Can you guess from the title what I did last night? Here's a hint: The title uses a really bad pun on the audible similarity between the words Gorilla and Guerrilla. Still no?
I went Guerrilla Gardening. To be honest, this wasn't my first attempt at sprucing up some of Camden's neglected public spaces, but it was the most successful. I met up with four others that I connected with through a local website, and brought along one of the other guys on the team. We hit a raised planter along the canal near our house. It was overgrown and filled with weeds, with a few nice plants mixed in. We weeded it, turned up the soil, pruned some of the existing bushes, and added a nice mix of flowering plants and herbs.
The police came by at one point, and warned us to be careful of needles because the area was a hang-out for junkies. This was confirmed when we found a needle, which we removed to our improvised 'sharps box'. Other than the warning, though, the officers were encouraging and glad to see us there - I think we pushed the junkies off, at least for the few hours we were there.
At the end of the evening, we celebrated with a drink at the local pub; but not before stopping to water a few herbs and tomato plants that one of our fellow guerrillas had planted last week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan I think what you guys are doing is the coolest thing ever!! Planting those little patches of beauty around the city, I love it. I'm sure they'll bring lots of little moments of joy to everyone who sees them! :)

Anonymous said...

Keep the blog coming! I don't comment often (ok, maybe this is only the 1st or 2nd time!), but it is so nice to see updates with pictures and just to hear your heart! I LOVE that you are planting in Camden :-) That's something I would love to do.

chaps said...

i love it! guerrilla gardening! awesome idea

Tim said...

Thought you'd appreciate this:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/20/guerr.garden/index.html?eref=rss_tech

I'm back in the States, really looking forward to seeing you at the end of July! It's already booked on my calender. Say hi to the girls for me!