Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Facebook and other ways to distance ourselves from people we're close to

So, I recently joined Facebook, mostly because all my friends are doing it. It's funny how, even after almost 30 years of life, the phrase "Everone else is doing it" still carries a lot of weight.

Anyway, I noticed upon joining that there are over 800,000 people in the "London" network. That's 10% of the population of the entire city on Facebook. Now I'll grant that some of those people probably don't live in London, but it's still an impressive number of people connecting in a virtual network that is centered around geographic proximity. Kind of strange, huh? I communicated today with a friend who lives above me (he appointed me 'Chief Spiritual Advisor' to the 55 group on Facebook). You can 'poke' people, give them gifts, everything.

Now I'll also admit that I have taken to e-mailing my wife at times, even when she's sitting right next to me. And I am known to wake up in the morning, grunt 'check your e-mail' and then roll over.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to know Jeff isn't the only husband to send messages to his wife while sitting in the same room together. He's sending me "g-chats" now that I'm on gmail... you can imagine what sorts of high class things he says...

Rebecca said...

Yea, I'm a member of Facebook AND MySpace...I REALLY don't need any other "virtual social networks" anymore....well, I'm also on Last.fm... :)

Miss you guys!!

Anonymous said...

I am on facebook as well and Im still trying to figure the thing out. Maybe Ill invite you to be my friend, maybe if your nice :)