Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Drawing Studio

On Saturday afternoon, Andi and I walked next door to Arlington House. They were hosting an open drawing studio. Professional artists joined homeless residents of Arlington house and members of the community in creating a room full of drawings. Tables, walls, and even the floor were covered in paper. Markers, pencils, charcoal, and paints were scattered around the room. Andi had a great time doing butterflies (where you fold a sheet of paper in half to creat mirror images of the paint). We learned from one of the guys that you can then use the 'butterfly' to create multiple prints on the wall if you use enough paint. Really cool. Andi had no problem getting right in there and drawing. But I found it very difficult. I couldn't think of what to do, and I kind of froze up. It was like I wanted to put something down, but every idea I had just seemed stupid. I like the freedom children have to express themselves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can picture Andi getting right in there. Painting is something she loves. Sounds like a good time.

Kristine said...

Sounds like a great time. When I do workshops with adults they tend to struggle more than kids do with simply creating art. I think as we get older we get really caught up with censoring ourselves rather than simply playing and having fun...

Dan Passerelli said...

Kristine - I agree. I knew what I was doing (censoring my creativity and ability to play) and yet I still had a very difficult time getting past it.