Tuesday, June 06, 2006

DaVinci Code

Somer and I went to the DaVinci code with a High-School friend and his girlfriend on Sunday. We had a really good time with them. The movie was so-so. Probably my favorite part of the book was the working out of all the codes...a movie can't contain the same level of complexity and detail, so I felt like it suffered. I think if I hadn't read the book, I would have been a little bored at the movie. Like the book, the character development was extremely thin and the plot twists felt a little contrived. However, I enjoyed remembering the story from the book and filling in various details and remember plot twists before they happened.
Being a follower of Jesus and someone who trusts the traditional Christian telling of the life/death/resurrection of Jesus, I was a little surprised at how 'uncontroversial' the movie was. In comparison to the book, the movie made a fairly week argument for the assertions that Jesus had children through Mary Magdalene, and that the church violently supressed this reality through the centuries. Langdon (male lead played by Tom Hanks) was portrayed as skeptical of the claims for a Jesus-Mary Magdalene union, and kept calling them 'myths' and 'theories'.
Kelley asked under the last post what I thought of the movie, and I guess my overall impression is that it wasn't all that great.
BUT - like I said, we had a great time with our friends. After the movie, we went to DuClaw Brewing Company for dinner. It was fantastic. I got a sampler of seven of their in-house brews. It was really good to get re-acquainted with our friend and get to know his girlfriend a little bit. They are a great couple - they let us ask really personal questions and didn't hold it against us. Thanks guys - see you on Saturday at the reunion!

Oh, yeah...I haven't mentioned this here yet. Our High-School reunion is Saturday night. Have no idea what to expect. We'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooo, and they have the "Pint Club"...nice.

Reunions are fun! :)

Miss you kids.

Anonymous said...

I'm now reading The Da Vinci Code. Intense! I was up until 4am last night. Between Da Vinci and the World Cup, I'm pretty much not going to sleep.

Nothing like a few beers to make people more amenable to personal questions, eh? :)