Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Hot Soup

I took my first glassblowing class on Saturday at Hot Soup in Center City Philadelphia. It was so much fun! We learned the basics of how to gather the molten glass out of the crucible and how to work with some basic tools. I made a paper weight and a "snowman" - basically two lumps of glass on top of each other.
It's a short class - just four Saturday mornings - but by the end I'll be able to make a drinking glass. I can't wait for the next class, which will be in two weeks because we're heading to a missions conference in Arkansas this weekend, so I have to make up the second class later. Maybe next time I'll bring the camera and post some pics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We were talking about your class last night at the Startts' while celebrating Lindsey's birthday. Amy immediately was reminded of the episode of 3-2-1 Contact! where you got to watch someone working with glass - putting it into a furnace on a long pole, then pulling it out and rolling it on a table, sqeezing it with something like tongs and pinching a bit of it off the end. Very exciting that you got to do the same thing!