Monday, February 25, 2008

Open Door Policy

So, we try to keep an open door policy around here. Whenever someone wants to come over, they can. Our friends frequently drop by, or simply wave up at us from across the street. But this past weekend, I was pushed a little too far.
As I came in the house, I heard a small click in the lock. Didn't think anything of it until I went out again later that evening, and noticed that the door hadn't latched. In fact, the bolt was stuck inside the door and wasn't coming out again. We were about to have people over for a worship meal, so I couldn't do anything about it right then. By the time the evening wound down it was too late to fix the lock.
Now, some people would call me a bit paranoid, but I refuse to sleep with the door unlocked. I tend to jump awake at sounds as it is, and knowing that our door could swing wide open at any moment was just too much. So I did what any self-respecting man would do in that situation. I piled up chairs in front of the door. And I kept piling them, until they were wedged in between the door, the wall, and the step in such a way that nobody would be able to get the door open, no matter how hard they pushed.
Next morning I fixed the lock.

No comments: