Tuesday, November 01, 2005

New Books

Just a quick update on the books I've added to my "reading list". White Teeth was recommended as a good book for understanding life in London. I'm a little over half-way through, and it's a great read. Very interesting to read it at the end of our first year here.
Exclusion and Embrace is a bit of a challenge. I'm reading it for the Emergent Theological Conversation at Yale that I'm attending in February. So far it's good, but ocassionaly I have a hard time following Volf's line of argument. I do love his focus on the centrality of the Trinity and the self-giving love of God as expressed in the cross. May do some more discussion here at a later date.
The Character of Theology is a good book, though the most academic of the three. For me, that means it's slow-going. But it's worth it. Franke provides a good reformed perspective for doing theology from within the emerging culture.

3 comments:

J. R. Daniel Kirk said...

I see that A Generous Orthodoxy is off your list now. Did you finish it? What did you think?

I'd love to hear more about what you think about Volf's book. I liked where he was going but was frustrated by how he chalked up the divisions Jesus overcame to human sin rather than recognizing how many of them were part of the OT, God-given Torah.

Craig said...

I hope we can meet at the conversation in New Haven. Just registered myself.

Dan Passerelli said...

Craig,
I'll look forward to it.

Daniel,
I did finish Generous Orthodoxy, and on the whole I liked it. Maybe I'll do a response as a separate post.